
Every morning I read one of the local papers from cover to cover. Half of the paper consists of what are really infomercials – articles promoting one product or another under (weak) guise of news article or a column. But it’s also great to find out what new gallery shows are on or where to find stuff. (For example, a few days ago I found out about a place where you can go and get fresh herbs – real fresh, you actually get to pick them yourself).
What I like most about this newspaper habit is reading the political news that takes up most of the first section. I call it my Daily Soap Opera. Every single day, without fail, there are stories of corruption, greed and graft. And the columnists are all over it. I’ve said before, I think they are very brave indeed and kudos to them. Nobody seems to get seriously called on anything. The previous president was ousted six years ago and charged with corruption. He spent six years under house arrest (living comfortably in his own residence in the province) until recently when his trial ended and the verdict came down. Verdict? Guilty. Sentenced to real jail time. However, a mere couple of weeks later, the current president pardoned him. Why? Apparently to secure support from his political supporters as she is in a precarious position here, under continuous threat of impeachment. Recently she had a breakfast meeting of her elected supporters to discuss an upcoming vote that some would be making on her impeachment – governors and congressmen. At the end of the meeting they were each presented with an envelope containing 500,000 pesos (more than $10,000), in cash. Hmmm…
The other interesting thing about the political culture is that No One, Ever, Confesses to Anything. Ever. Imagine that you (well not YOU) – imagine that one is caught in bed in flagrante delicto by one’s spouse with another person who is definitely not one’s spouse. Caught. In the act. No doubt about what’s going on whatsoever. So what do you do in this situation? DENY IT. Completely. Continue to deny it, vigorously. And then, if that isn’t quite working, then turn the tables and blame the spouse for walking in. Lie and lie and lie.That’s political life here. Nobody believes a word anybody says.
A couple of days ago, I heard a news report saying that the World Bank had withdrawn a $33 million loan and was holding back a further $232 million loan to the Philippines. Why? Because of corruption. The Bank had found evidence of collusion and bid-rigging in this country on the contracting of the projects. This happens all the time especially in large infrastructure projects, as happened recently with a huge broadband project I mentioned in an earlier posting. And apparently it is widely know that the collusion and graft is from the top down. Some say from the very top, but who am I to say? This is what the papers and columnists (and some of my Filipino friends) say.
So my first reaction was “way to go World Bank!”, and watched the BBC news, and the CNN news, searched the websites of Financial Times, Washington Post etc. Let’s tell the world, that will shame these bandits. What did I find in my media search? Nada, rien, zip. No public humiliation. I was disappointed. The next day, the front page headlines of the Philippine Star read – WB (World Bank) shelves $232-M loan to RP (Republic of the Philippines) over corruption.
Aha, now this shameful thing is exposed. Well who am I kidding? Caught in bed with a new blonde? HA! Deny it! Here’s what the following day’s (today’s) headline said –

Budget Secretary Rolando Andaya said the World Bank was partly to blame for the alleged irregularity because its procurement system was prone to corruption.
"This is an alleged incident. It happened, if ever it happened, because of its (WB's) own system and not our own government's procurement system." Andaya, who is also the chairman of the interagency Government Procurement Board, said.
The Philippine Star, November 21, 2007

We're currently making our way through another story of graft and corruption - the entire DVD box set of the Sopranos. And his mother! What a piece of work.
3 comments:
Regarding the corruption and deceit, I think there is a wider "asian thing" going on there - remember China and the bird flu denial fiasco? They certainly seem "inscrutable" many times. However, it's an expected outcome when colonization goes bad. And I think that's what we're seeing here. I guess at this point the only question is how can we deliver better contraception to reduce their terrible population crunch - 7 children! Yikes. Is it even allowed there? Do tell........Barbara
Regarding the corruption and deceit, I think there is a wider "asian thing" going on there - remember China and the bird flu denial fiasco? They certainly seem "inscrutable" many times. However, it's an expected outcome when colonization goes bad. And I think that's what we're seeing here. I guess at this point the only question is how can we deliver better contraception to reduce their terrible population crunch - 7 children! Yikes. Is it even allowed there? Do tell........Barbara
You are certainly right that corruption and deceit is not limited to the Philippines. Whether it is an Asian thing, I don't know - there are certainly many examples of it in countries elsewhere. The population issue - well don't get me started! It's outrageous. To my mind, it is very much an issue of political will (remember my post about Thailand, which has made huge progress). Currently the President, who is a devout Catholic, appears to be kowtowing to the Bishops, in her ongoing quest to avoid impeachment and hold on to power.
USAID has for years been providing contraception programs in the Philippines but is now pulling out of that program. The current government shows no inclination to pick up where they will be leaving off, which means the situation will get worse. And who suffers? The poor - who are dying from backroom abortions and too many children. Remember also there is no universal free public education, so how do you think all these children are getting educated?
Post a Comment