On our recent trip to Laos and Thailand, we spent four days in Vientiane, the capital of Laos, where I promptly fell madly in love with the place. It is situated on the Mekong River and across the river is Thailand. It’s not a large city and very safe and easy to walk around – which I did for three straight days, sometimes by myself and sometimes with a Bhutanese friend who was also tagging along on this business trip. Vientiane is an interesting mixture of French colonial, Buddhist temple, and southeast Asian indoor/outdoor living architecture. The French influence is very evident – they even constructed a Champs Elysée type avenue which is a huge surprise as you turn the corner and come upon it.
Monks' laundry in the temple grounds
Lao fast food
I met some interesting people during my shopping expeditions. I was quite intrigued to find some longtime expat residents there and was curious about their stories.
I also bought some pieces that were created in another facility Carol has opened in Cambodia. In this workshop, she employs Cambodian women who have lost limbs as a result of landmines. Someone else told me that this operation is not (yet) profitable but Carol has been supporting it through the Lao company. The story of Carol Cassidy’s Lao Textiles journey, Weaving Treasures is told on my friend Liza’s website at www.lizalinklater.com in the Journeys section. (Liza has other articles and photos on this site of her extensive travels in Asia).
Naga wall hanging now at home
The Naga, or serpent, is best known for its protective properties, not only in Laos but esentially throughout the whole of Southeast Asian mythology. There are more than 30 different types of Naga motifs used in Lao textiles. This contemporary representation of the Nagas was based on a traditional candlestick motif formed of two Nagas with raised heads at each end and joined at the tail.
Vientiane is what I would call a “real small town”. I kept running into people over and over again as I was out and about. One day I was having lunch with my Bhutanese friend when she struck up a conversation with two women from California beside us, who, as it turned out, had just come from spending two weeks in Bhutan. I also met (separately) two other women traveling alone from Thailand. One is a retired German librarian who has been living in Chiang Mai for the past four years and the other an American who lives in Bangkok. Both were on “visa runs”. In Thailand, resident foreigners have to leave the country in order to renew their visas, so there are a number of places in Laos and Cambodia where you’ll meet people doing this. Depending on the type of visa, some have to leave the country every 3 months to renew. We’ve all exchanged email addresses and when I go to Chiang Mai (next on my list in Thailand), well guess what? I already have a friend there!
For me, watching that sunset over the Mekong River was huge. Before I came to this part of the world I used to say that my mental images of southeast Asia were totally built on ignorance. Say the words Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam and the only thing that would pop into my head was Apocalypse Now. Thank goodness for this opportunity to change all that and be lucky enough to explore these sights, sounds and smells, which, I might add, are becoming highly addictive.
No comments:
Post a Comment