Friday, May 29, 2009

Travel Maps

My Uncle Jerome was a great traveller. A couple of times a year he'd take off on some adventure and the nice part about it for us was the way he'd share his travels. Often when he returned he'd invite the family over to his wonderful house where he'd prepare dinner with a menu based on the food of whatever country he'd been to and would show his slides.

He had a map on his wall that I was always intrigued with - one of those maps with push pins showing all the places he'd been too. I loved looking at that map and when he died, far too young, his sisters gave it to me.

I went looking for a travel map like it on the internet and found this site.

http://douweosinga.com/projects/visited

On it, you can enter all the countries you've been to and it generates the following map of your travels. According to this, I have visited 20 countries, 8.8% of the world's nations. It's very misleading. For example, yes I've been to China, but only to Shanghai, and it has all of Indonesia highlighted when I've only been to Bali, so it appears to be more that what it really is. But it's still fun. Meanwhile I'll keep looking for a virtual "push pin" map. Or better yet, find a "Jerome" map for my very own wall.


No comments: