
Bali is relatively easy to get to from here. A 2 1/2 hour flight to Singapore, a mad dash from one part of the sprawling terminal to the other, then another 2 1/2 hours or so to Bali. Helps to have a visa already to avoid the long "visa on arrival" line, then a quick stop at the Citibank ATM at the airport to become a millionaire (1,000,000 rupiah per $100 U.S. - more or less, "close enough is good enough" as my accounting professor used to say) and away you go.
I was staying in the hills, in Ubud, about an hour away from the airport. It was dark when I arrived and was picked up by the hotel car, so my first images of Bali were glimpses through the night.
Past the big Kuta intersection with its Kentucky Fried on one corner, opposite the Dunkin' Donuts. Oh Lord. Then through quiet streets lined with shop after shop after shop displaying big stone carvings and populated with wandering dogs. Then through the garden pathways at the hotel, past the croaking frogs to my hotel room. Bali would have to wait until morning to reveal itself.
Which it did.
3 comments:
I've been waiting for your return and update re your trip. I'll keep checking for more of the story. I'm very interested. Back on Brewerton - all is well. Internet good, but bad Skype b/c of the satellite connection. Kelly
Yes, more Bali tales to come. I may be back in Manila in body but have definitely left my spirit somewhere else. Busy now planning the northern Thailand/Laos trip in July with MS.
I look forward to that story! kh
Post a Comment