Monday, May 7, 2007

Getting Ready to Leave



At lunch with Janie today - at my new favourite restaurant in Barrhaven - I said that I was considering writing a blog when I was gone. The only problem was, it had been five days since I had signed on to Blogspot and I was still dithering around with the colours. At this rate...

The house is for sale, Mike is looking for an apartment downtown, I have given notice at work and the journey begins. We are shipping things over to Manila, but I have decided that purging, decluttering, downsizing, simplifying, whatever you want to call it is in order. My rule of thumb is the following:

The one question to ask about an object is "When I open the box and see this thing on the other side of the planet, am I going to be delighted?" If the answer is "No", then out it goes.

Already with what we've done so far, in preparation for showing the house, we've thrown out or given away a lot. It feels good. Lighter.

And is making room for new things from Asia!

By the way - the picture above has nothing to do with the South China Sea - except perhaps in sentiment. That is Ontario cottage country - Minden (me, floating in the middle of the lake).

6 comments:

MDB said...

I like things from asia!

Janie said...

Now that you've spoiled Pad Thai (sp??) from anywhere else, I am still talking (or shall I say writing?) to you. I LOVE the colours you chose for your blog. This is your green season. You wore green yesterday. It is the colour of new growth. You are surely growing and stretching as this new adventure unfolds. I look forward to following your blog. And like Mike, I like things from Asia, too :) Smiles 'n hugs, Janie

JeanEB said...

Stay tuned for more colour changes - I have a sense there is more customization ahead. I happened to see a blog using the same template and it was disconcerting, to say the least, to see "my" colours elsewhere. This is a great fun exploring how to do this.

Janie said...

All I can say about the bike is:

You GO girl ! ! !

Smiles, Janie

Anonymous said...

Regarding packing. After 3 years of boxes, boxes and more boxes of all our worldly possessions that have been housed in distance storage facilities, various back rooms and people's basements, all the boxes are in one place and I'm finally unpacking "my stuff". Unfortunately, I don't remember how I came to have most of the stuff I'm unpacking and/or why I packed it in the first place. Good on you to have the discipline up front. Packing sucks / unpacking is not much better. Enjoy the future - it's yours.

Regarding the Minden pic. Is that the (im)famous paddleboat in the fore?

kelly

JeanEB said...

That is it, the one and the same. The source of the new rule - thou shalt not go boating after dinner!