

I have never, in my whole life, looked at a map like this. It's a big world, I guess and in busy lives there is really only time and energy to focus on the immediate surroundings. What was I missing?!!
No doubt when I get there, my neighbourhood will be the focus again to some extent. And that is the challenge. The trick, I think, is to keep this map in full view and top of mind and remind myself that it's a big world out there and not that far away. Get out there and take a look! (Click on the map to get a closer view of the South China Sea and surrounding countries).
What am I looking at? How big is it? Asian Development Bank lists 44 member countries in Asia. Another site listed 37. All I really can say at this point is "lots". I'm setting this map, which is only part of Asia, as wallpaper.
Howard is, as we speak, in Manila for a few days, having his look at things. He's been exploring neighbourhoods and apartments with an agent and getting some interesting first impression perspectives on where we might want to live. I had suggested that he ask some of the people he met with if there was anything specific we should be bringing with us - anything we might want to have but can't get in Manila. One man had a very important suggestion...
"If you are a woman with a shoe size larger than 8, you can't get shoes in Manila".
I am. How ironic. I'm going to the land of Imelda Marcos, yet I have to bring my own shoes.
We'll see.
P.S. What is Imelda doing recently? Lots it would seem, including this: The world's best-known shoe collector, former Philippine First Lady Imelda Marcos, has opened a museum in which most of the exhibits are her own footwear. And even more recently, has launched her own fashion label.
Museum - Homage to Imelda
Shoe courtesy of Fulcrum Gallery a great website for art prints.