Monday, May 24, 2010
Exceeding Expectations
Well there is something of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, everywhere you go. So let me get that out of the way.
People arrived with me at the Istanbul airport from all over the world, and many also like me had travelled for 12 hours or more. Hundreds and hundreds of weary, spaced out travellers, faced an immigration line manned by 4 lone immigration officers.
Fatigued and irritated we waiting for hours and hours to get through. I am told that this is a common occurrence. SO, Republic of Turkey. NO EU MEMBERSHIP FOR YOU! Forget it. Unless you put a few more clerks on the immigration line. Simple no? And then we'll see.
But, enough of this. Once I did get through, I was barely halfway to town, when I breathed a huge sigh and settled in. Look at this. All is forgiven.
Before I even reached the hotel, I knew that this town was for me. No doubt about it. The sun is shining and the sea beside us is blue and sparkling. The road in to town from the airport hugs the Sea of Marmara and all the way along the waterfront they have left it as parkland. Miles and miles and miles of waterfront parks. I'm thinking, OK, I like a town that puts parks all along the waterfront. People, families, sunshine, water, green, blue, vistas. This suits me. And then, if that's not enough, you turn your head to look the other way, on the other side of the road away from the Sea, and there's clear evidence of ancient - really ancient - city walls. Oh boy. Here it comes...
Istanbul is FABULOUS. Whatever I thought it might be, it was more. Much more. It is now on my top 5 list of cities and I can barely remember what the other 4 are.
Let me count the ways.
Food. Some say that the cuisine is up there with the top 3. (Doesn't everybody, including me, like lists?). I will say, though, that the tastes and flavors were amazing. Different, unexpected, fresh, light. And very good wine.
Location location location. There's a very good reason why this once was the center of the universe.
Waterfront. Istanbul tucks around the Sea of Marmara and the Bosphorus. The people who live on the hills alongside celebrate and enjoy their daily sight of the water. Great views - wonderful sights of ships heading up to the Black Sea. Wonderful boat cruises on local ferries, across to the Asian side or a day trip up the Bosphorus.
Getting around. Easy. Walking, walking walking. Cobblestones. Alleys. Trams. Ferries.
Old stuff. Fantastic ruins that invite exploration of the history of the place and the world at that time. Tell me more.
Architecture - awesome. Mosques, palaces, old churches, walls, cisterns, towers, aqueducts, cobblestones, parks, bazaars...
Art - amazing tile, fabric, painting, carpet, brass, ceramic, wood...
Museums - great museums.
Friendly local people, enthusiastic salesmen...Amazing people sights. Travelers from everywhere. Every type of dress you can imagine.
Food. Did I mention the food?
Blue tile calligraphy by Guvenc Given.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
Every time I read one of your posts about where you've been, I am convinced that's where I want to go next.
I like good food and red wine... and the water, and parks along roadsides...
Zoe, you would love it. Fun. We are talking about going back and staying much longer, to see more of Istanbul, and also more of Turkey.
Post a Comment