Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sights and Signs

Still deleting my way through 5000+ photos on my overloaded hard drive. Among the following are some memories that make me smile.

A propos of nothing, I just like this picture. Saw the movie last weekend.


The garden of Wat Bupparam in Chiang Mai. Bless all creatures, including Donald Duck eating a bowl of noodles with chopsticks.

On our return visit last month to the White Temple in Chiang Rai, I found this sign, which I don't remember seeing when last there in July (see Buddhism on Acid). Tourists behaving badly? Surely not!

A couple of bars in Chiang Mai. Why Not, indeed!

A quiet temple in Chiang Mai, filled with carved jade buddhas. These three outstanding carvings in the middle are about 4 feet high. Solid jade.

These next two from Hoi An, Viet Nam


It was very hot last July when Maristella and I were in Chiang Mai. We'd wander around in the morning and then would retreat to this place, an oasis of a hotel in the middle of the Old Town, to pass a couple of hours in their cooled restaurant overlooking the pool, for a plate of Northern pan-fried wide rice noodles and vegetables and a Mojito (or two). Walking through the entrance lane, shielded from the noonday sun, under the bamboo was like walking into a very special retreat. When we came back last month we stayed there for two weeks and it was wonderful.


A common sight in Chiang Mai - the world capital of foot massage. This is at the Sunday evening street market. I prefer my daily hour-long reflexology foot massage around the corner, indoors in air conditioned quiet. 6 bucks.


Get those helmets on!


Also a propos of nothing, just because I like it, this cartoon of Google and its plans to digitize every book ever made (Asaf Hanuka).

No comments: