Friday, October 30, 2009

All Hallows' Even

My favorite holiday. When The Boys were little I used to spend hours and hours creating their little costumes - I have bragging rights on the fact that My Boys had the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle costumes ever, designed and hand-crafted by me. I'm pretty sure that that piece of trivia is only significant to me. Dad would take them trick or treating while I would delight in answering the door and seeing all the little kids in their costumes. Sometimes I would dress up too. Magical times.

My most memorable (!) Halloween night was in Ottawa when we lived in the Maple Ridge townhouses. That October 31st was amazingly balmy for Ottawa - really really warm (October 31st is NEVER warm in Ottawa). My neighbor Denise and I set up lawn chairs outside between the houses and her husband Vaughan started feeding us martinis as we doled out the candy. We stayed out there quite late, enjoying the warm night, sipping endless martinis.

God, it was awful the next morning. I haven't had a martini since.



Happy Halloween.

These images are from the brilliant miniature artists Jodi and Richard Creager. These figures are no more than 6 inches tall. http://www.creagers.com/

No comments: