Saturday, November 8, 2008

Happy Birthday Abie Baby


I spent the morning of my birthday watching the U.S. election returns, as it was Tuesday night across the Pacific.

What a fine birthday present!

Later that day I told my Tagalog teacher that I never thought I would see this in my lifetime. That night I saw the newsclips where Oprah Winfrey and Jesse Jackson were quoting me.

After 9/11, as events progressed, I announced that I was not going back to the States until the government changed. There was lots of joking about which state voted Democrat and could there be exceptions for those and on and on. Well, all joking aside, as it turned out, it's been a very long time since I was there.

Now I feel like a huge cloud and persistent sense of dread is lifting. At last a feeling of hope.

Couldn't have wished for a happier birthday.


Lyrics to Abie Baby... from the musical Hair

No comments: