Several times we’ve been asked “What is Canadian food?” and I must confess the question leaves me stumped. Uhhh, butter tarts? Montreal smoked meat? The best I’ve been able to do is mutter something about how I tend to cook food that is influenced by many other countries (especially Italian), representing the multi-cultural nature of our country blah blah blah.
So what is Canadian food anyway? Well, on our recent trip home, I paid some attention to some of the cravings I was able to indulge in, most of which I can’t get here (at least not without contributing to global warming).
1. What would you think my overwhelming urge was upon touchdown? Unbelievably it was a hamburger! We stayed at the hotel at the Vancouver airport the first night and I had a hamburger at Milestones in the departure area of the terminal. Best I’ve ever had so had another one three weeks later on our way out. (The first one was the best.) I can wait another year.
2. Berries. Summer in British Columbia (and elsewhere) is a magical time for fruit. In Victoria before we even checked in to the place we were staying, we made a pit stop at the fruit market where we stocked up on cherries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and peaches from the Okanagan. A blissful gorgefest.3. Gin and Fresca. Can’t get Fresca in the Philippines so indulged. This was the first alcoholic drink I ever had as a very much underaged teenager.
My friend, who shall remain nameless, used to bootleg 40 ouncers snatched out of her father’s cases of gin stashed in the basement. I guess I liked it.4. Wild salmon. I’ve given up on farm-raised salmon for all kinds of reasons, so coastal BC was a great place to enjoy this. Also it’s the only place I’ll eat any other fish of any kind – fresh halibut.

5. Smarties
So when you consider the fabulous Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese etc. cuisines we’ve been enjoying, I’m still not really able to answer the question – what IS Canadian food?
The Wikipedia entry on the subject has quite an interesting list. It includes Kraft dinner. As well as this. Yikes.
No comments:
Post a Comment