Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Welcome to the Elephants



The Elephants Have Arrived.

When we were in Cambodia a few months ago, we bought some sculptures through Artisans d'Angkor. Two elephants and a Buddha head. Stone sculptures.

The elephants are about two feet high, 3 feet long, and 18 inches wide. I think. What I know is that they each weigh 98 kilos.

Yes, kilos.

They were sent from Siem Reap to Manila by sea and we have been waiting for them. This must take the cake of travel souvenirs!

I had custom made stands made for them as well as for the Buddha head, which also was, shall we say, hefty. So how do you get these things moved? Head to the concierge desk and say in a loud voice, "I need help. I need some strong men to help move my statues". At which point some young, strong guys step forward! Our young doormen.

We keep fresh orchids by the elephants. Every morning I go to plug in the fountain and pick up the paper. I say "Hello little elephants" and rub their heads. In the evening I light the candles for them. At night I turn the lights out, unplug the fountain, pat them on their heads and say "Goodnight little elephants".

I also keep candles and orchids by the Buddha head, but never ever touch Buddha on the head!

Tomorrow night some friends are coming to dinner, which I've said is a welcome to the elephants dinner.

I think the elephants are happy. I know I am.

No comments: