Saturday, October 20, 2007

Explosion in Makati





I'm feeling unsettled and very sad as I think about those many families who today find their lives completely changed and rearranged.

Friday afternoon just as I was leaving to go out, I received a text message from the Bank's security informing of a blast that had just gone off in Glorietta Mall in Makati. I turned around and went back to the apartment and then sent Lory, the driver, up to the Bank with the car. Watching the news unfold on the all news channel on TV, it was the usual thing of lack of information, speculation, talking heads and confusion. From my window (I posted a picture of the view of Makati on an earlier blog entry) I watched the news helicopters hovering even as I saw their live feeds on TV.

It seems to be that a bomb exploded in the mall and as of now 9 are dead and over 100 are injured. The death toll has been climbing as they find people in the rubble and people die in hospital.

This is the same mall that was beside our hotel where we lived for two months and the one I was in, or walking through, every day. As a matter of fact I was there on Thursday afternoon. It was a vibrant, happy place, full of young people, older people, kids, young sales clerks, noise, laughter and energy.

Who did it? And why? Who knows. The day is overcast and so is my mood.

No comments: