Friday, July 20, 2007

Soft Landing


We’re now ensconced in our latest hotel “home” in Manila and having a great time. We may already found a place to live (fingers crossed) as well as an apartment hotel where we will live once we return from Thailand until our shipment arrives and we can take possession.

First impressions? There is a very smooth and friendly vibe to this place that suits me completely. Everyone makes eye contact, says good morning, smiles – the service is very good indeed. The security industry is thriving. Every entrance to the hotels or the malls have numerous security people at every door, checking bags. At the MegaMall (aptly named) when you enter, there are signs indicating that men go left, women go right at which point handbags are opened. I'd take a picture of that sign but I'm not sure how that would be taken! The Starbucks across the street has a uniformed security guy who acts as doorman – opens doors, greets you with a smile. This is typical. Also when you arrive at the hotel, all cars pass by a checkpoint where trunks are opened and checked and when luggage is removed a dog comes over and sniffs it. Different for sure, but not disturbing.

Shopping appears to be a popular sport. There are huge indoor (aircon, the nom du jour) malls, some of which are so large that it is perhaps a way of getting the walking in - certainly outside walking is not fun, what with dodging traffic and breathing the fumes. But we're doing that too. Some of those malls blow me away, with every designer store imaginable - all the names are there. After years of Bayshore and Rideau Centre I feel like a hick. When I saw the St John boutique in the Shangri La Plaza, I went ballistic; that did it for me. I’m home, for sure! (Why they changed the model in the Vogue print ads from the real life fabulous former President Kelly Gray, the founder's daughter, to Angelina Jolie, however lovely, I'll never know - and I'm sure (?) everyone knows of what I speak, no? No? Oh well here it is). And I'm not the only one who thinks this way.


I developed a huge problem with my eye, which turned out to be a scratched cornea. We called the front desk and within an hour the hotel doctor and nurse were in my hotel room. She declared herself not able to treat me and referred me to an eye clinic across the street. When we went to pay her for the consult she refused payment, saying she hadn't done anything. The eye clinic is a busy place - there was an hour and a half wait - but the receptionist suggested we go and have lunch and she'd call us on our cell phone when it was getting to be our turn. Once in, I saw computerized equipment in place I'd never seen before - all was very tech, very efficient, very impressive and the whole experience was relatively painless. That is, painless except for my eye which hurts like hell and looks worse. It is also the first time literally in decades I've not been able to wear makeup (hey I'm a Montreal girl, after all). Jackie O shades protect me from myself.

The Economist published a listing of the living affordability of major cities around the world ranked from most expensive to least expensive. Manila was 141st on the list. When we arrived I put the equivalent in pesos of $100 in my wallet for spending money. Here’s what I’ve purchased, several days later:

3 glossy Philippine fashion and style magazines (great stuff!)
2 packages of Mentos
1 visit to the opthamologist
1 prescription for antibiotic eye drops
1 shoe repair

Here's the thing. I have more than $60 left.

There is Diet Root Beer on the grocery shelves (organic diet root beer at that) and all is right in my world tonight.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

VINDICATED - didn't I tell you the service would be great and the people extremely accomodating? You thought I was out of date but now you KNOW!! Anyway, this is the easy part. I know you're going to see that dirty underbelly. Keep up the good work - sounds like you are doing well so far at pacing yourself and enjoying the sights and sounds...Barbara

Anonymous said...

Laugh if you want, but I am a total hick!! Never heard of St. John's. Thought it might be for warts!!! I should have known it was the shoe girls dream store. Love the blog and thank you for taking me with you vicariously! Smiles, Janie

theindustrialrelationist said...

I know exactly what you're talking about! The shopping in Bangkok was unreal, although for a six-foot-four individual, next to impossible.

Pretty to look at though. And the shopping in Ottawa? Why, there's a great place here! It's only 2 hours east of downtown...

JeanEB said...

Here's the fix for those of us who are, shall we say, deviating from Asian sizes. I'm getting ahead of myself a bit, but here's my shopping view from Bangkok (not yet sure if I'll find the same when back in Manila, stay tuned). In these Bangkok silk boutique and tailor shops, once I decide on what it is (dressing gown, skirt, top, whatever), the fabric/colour, then negotiate the price, out comes the tape measure and they measure me all over. Off they go, pronto. At one shop, they were so fast that the fabric and measurements were off to their factory before it the paperwork was even done to pay for it! Then they create the garment, totally custom made to fit (and gorgeous I might add) and deliver it to the hotel. All this within a day or two. Plus, the wrapping and packaging is almost as beautiful as what is inside. Loving this!

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that things are happening....sorry about the eye. Get well soon!!..RE: the malls, They have one with a skating rink. We can send you some skates for the purpose if you care. You can show off some hot odg Canadian moves....Re the service mentality: you are being exposed to what TC and I found to be probably the biggest difference between East and West - they really do care about the customer. Have fun in Thaland and send us coordinates when you get back.

Alex and Teresa

JeanEB said...

Alex, would you believe that somewhere in that packed-up shipment is a pair of ice skates? The bigger question is - are you going to bring your's when you come visit?

Last night we met a bartender in our new hotel home here in Manila who told us he is waiting to hear about a job he has applied for in Alberta. (I know that the hotel industry is very actively recruiting here and elsewhere abroad) Right on. We need more of this wonderful service back home.

Anonymous said...

You're right about the Kelly Gray thing. What were they thinking???

kelly